RSS
Feeling much better today! Barely any pain in the morning but I went to see World War Z and now I'm back to feeling pain again. Darn.

THE MAZE RUNNER by JAMES DASHNER 3/5

THE MAZE RUNNER by JAMES DASHNER
Summary:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.



Well, for me the cover is... okay. I'm very picky about cover, I know! But seriously, when I first glanced at it, I thought those green... things in the background are bamboo trees. For some reason the cover reminds me of a Japanese move called the Ghost System, probably because of the greenness...but I have to say the uniform color in the background does make the title POPS, which is a good thing. I was just hoping the walls (yeah, those bamboo things are walls though they're not exactly how they're described in the books but I'm not going to tell you how :p) are done a little more realistic, you know, maybe add more shadows to bring out the perspective or at least more tints of greens... but I digressed.

The book itself is a great read. I love how James ends a chapter with a sentence or two that lead you to the next chapter. It makes me curious and shock several times. If I have to choose one favorite line from the entire book, it'd be "my name is thomas. That's... all I remember." It's so gorgeous. I don't know why but the sentence just leaps out and grabs my attention and yells "you've got to read me!"
The whole book is about Thomas trying to get out of the maze with a bunch of kids. But there is a twist. A BIG FAT twist that I never saw coming. And Oh, **spoiler*** I always wonder why all the kids have weird names like Zart, Alby (actually alby's not a weird name but oh well), and Newt... but then I found out that they're named after famous people like Mozart, Albert Einstein, and Newton! Isn't that cute? ***end of spoiler*** There's a little bit a romance in the book as well as humor. I love when Thomas makes jokes they're freaking funny although to the character himself, they're lame.

I love word in the book except the fact that... it's repetitive sometimes. The things that Thomas said and thought are sometimes repetitive. More than one occasion I find that information I thought was obvious is supposed to be a shock or a secret. Especially at the near end when Thomas explains about the whole purpose of the Maze. I read 2 lengthy paragraphs of the information that had already been told in the first half or so of the book but everyone in the book was shocked to hear it. I guess it's because this book is pretty obvious. There needn't a lot of explanation in the end from Thomas if you pay enough attention. I'd figure out half of the secret when I'm 2/3 done with the book.

So in the end, I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes Ender's Game, the Hunger Games, Catching Fire and any similar sci fi novels. And oh, have I mentioned that there are several bloody scenes that I, although loved violent and torturing movies, have to blink? It's that awesome!


And oh, if you haven't, FREAKING CHECK OUT THE TRAILER! IT'S GORGEOUS AND FREAKING DISTURBING! LOVE IT! BEST TRAILER I'VE SEEN SO FAR! LOVE THE PART WHEN ALBY SAID "WELCOME TO THE GLADE!" LOVE HIS VOICE!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment